Lawrenceville is a town in Brunswick County, Virginia, United States. The population was 1,275 at the 2000 census. Located by the Meherrin River, it is the county seat of Brunswick County and home to historically black Saint Paul's College, founded in 1888 and affiliated with the Episcopal Church. In colonial times, Lieutenant Governor Alexander Spotswood had a stockade built nearby, called Fort Christianna, to house and educate Native Americans. Lumber, tobacco, livestock, and other farm products are grown in the area. It is near the northern border of cotton growing.