Mortons Gap is a city in Hopkins County, Kentucky, United States. The population was 952 at the 2000 census. The city is named for Thomas Morton, who settled the area in 1804. Mortons Gap had a community school built in the 1930s and housed a high school until the high school's consolidation to South Hopkins High School in 1955. An elementary and middle school continued to be served at the same location until the elementary school was consolidated to form Southside Elementary School and the middle school to form South Hopkins Middle School in the mid-1990s. The former school has been renovated and serves the community as a church.