Lincoln Park is a city in Wayne County in the U.S. state of Michigan. It lies in an area of cities and communities known as Downriver. The population was 40,008 at the 2000 census. The settlement was organized as a village in 1921, and reorganized as a city in 1925. The area was originally home to the Potawatomi Indians who ceded the land to a French settler, Pierre St. Cosme in 1776. It developed as a bedroom community providing homes to workers in the nearby steel mills and automobile plants of the Detroit area while having no industry within its bounds.