Stanton is a city in Mercer County, North Dakota in the United States. It is the county seat of Mercer County. The population was 345 at the 2000 census. Stanton was founded in 1882 and became the county seat in 1884. Stanton is home to the Knife River Indian Villages National Historic Site, which houses a Hidatsa earth lodge and three abandoned villages. One of these, Awatixa, is believed to be the former home of Sakakawea.