Blountsville is a town in Blount County, Alabama, United States. Blount County was created by the Alabama Territorial legislature on 1818 Feb. 6, from land ceded to the Federal government by the Creek Nation on 1814 Aug. 9. It was named for Gov. Willie G. Blount of Tennessee, who provided assistance to settlers in Alabama during the Creek War of 1813-14. It lies in the northeastern section of the state, generally known as the mineral region. Blount County is bordered by Cullman, Marshall, Etowah, Jefferson, and Walker Counties. The county is drained by the Locust and Mulberry Forks of the Black Warrior River. Blount County contains 643 square miles. The Warrior coal field is located in Blount County. From 1818 to 1889, Blountsville served as the county seat, 1889 was an election year and resulted in the county seat's transfer to Oneonta.