North Wildwood is a city located on the Jersey Shore in Cape May County, New Jersey, United States. It is part of the Ocean City Metropolitan Statistical Area. 4,935 residents were counted during the United States 2000 Census. North Wildwood is home to the Hereford Inlet Lighthouse. What is now North Wildwood City was originally incorporated as the borough of Anglesea on June 13, 1885, from portions of Middle Township, based on the results of a referendum held eleven days earlier. The borough was reincorporated on March 6, 1896, and again on May 4, 1897. On May 16, 1906, the Borough of North Wildwood was incorporated, replacing Anglesea Borough. On April 30, 1917, the area was reincorporated as the City of North Wildwood, in turn replacing North Wildwood borough. It was ranked the fourth best beach in New Jersey in the 2008 Top 10 Beaches Contest sponsored by the New Jersey Marine Sciences Consortium.