Wellington is a city in Carbon County, Utah, United States. The population was 1,666 at the 2000 census. The community was settled in 1878 by a band of thirteen Mormons led by Jefferson Tidwell. The town was named for Justus Wellington Seeley, Jr. , of the Emery County Court. Many residents commute to nearby Price for their jobs, or work in one of the various coal mines in the area.