Cape May Point is a borough located at the tip of the Cape May Peninsula in Cape May County. It is part of the Ocean City Metropolitan Statistical Area. 241 permanent residents were counted during the United States 2000 Census. Cape May Point is home to the Cape May Light. Cape May Point was called Stites Beach until 1876 when the name was changed to Seagrove. It was incorporated as a borough by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature on April 19, 1878, from portions of Lower Township, based on the results of a referendum held three days earlier. It was reincorporated on August 19, 1891 and returned to Lower Township on April 8, 1896. Cape May Point re-emerged as an independent municipality on April 6, 1908, based on the results of a referendum held on April 21, 1908.