Waves is an unincorporated community located in Dare County, North Carolina, on Hatteras Island, part of North Carolina's Outer Banks. Originally part of the settlement of Chicamacomico, Waves was known as South Rodanthe until 1939. In this approximate location a low sandy promontory known as Cape Kenrick is shown on colonial era maps associated with Wimble Shoals just offshore. The Northern border of Waves is generally considered to be the ditch that runs under Highway 12 just South of Resort Rodanthe Drive. The Southern border between Waves and Salvo is more ambiguous. Many long-time residents will point to different spots as the "official line" between Waves and Salvo. Formerly Rodanthe, Waves and Salvo were each supported by their own town Post Office. Today a single Post Office, located in Salvo, serves the entire community and the former lines that separated each community have become more fuzzy in definition.