Fleming-Neon is a city in Letcher County, Kentucky, United States. The city was established by the Elkhorn Coal Corporation which moved in to the area in 1913. Fleming was the location of the mine and named for its first president George W. Fleming. A city named Chip existed near the community that became Fleming and it was quickly built up and served as a trading center for the nearby coal towns. The train that hauled the coal out of Fleming would make stops in Neon and it is an accepted legend by locals that a man on the train would yell instructions to people climbing on board the train saying "Knee On" This was soon changed to Neon and replaced the name Chip. In 1977 the two towns merged becoming Fleming-Neon. The population was 840 at the 2000 census.