Cedar Grove is a town in Kanawha County, West Virginia, United States. The population was 862 at the 2000 census. Cedar Grove was incorporated in 1902. Its name is derived from the fact that at the time the town was established, a large juniper forest, misidentified as cedars by early settlers, was growing at that location. Cedar Grove is the site of Fort Kelley and the oldest settlement in the Kanawha Valley, dating from 1773. Landmarks located here include the Tompkins Home (1844) and the Old Brick Church (1853).