Elkins is a small village in New London, Merrimack County, New Hampshire, United States. It is situated at the east end of Pleasant Lake. It is home to a public beach, gas station, auto repair garage, post office, church, veterinarian office, and a group of rental cottages, Rocky Point Lodge. The village was originally called Scytheville, because of the presence of a scythe works in the village, using the outflow from Pleasant Lake to power the equipment to manufacture this agricultural implement. The scythe works closed in 1889 and, in 1896, the village was renamed in honor of Dr. John P. Elkins.