Beaver is a census-designated place (CDP) in Raleigh County, West Virginia, United States. The population was 1,378 at the 2000 census. The West Virginia community got its name around 1860 “from the great numbers of beavers abounding in the creeks during the early days of settlement,” according to “A History of Shady Spring District” compiled by the Shady Spring District Woman’s Club in 1979. When the community was eligible for a post office in the early 1900s, the residents discovered another West Virginia town already had the name. The community adopted the name “Oxley” for a Huntington, W. Va. , man who ran a clothing store. In 1929 or 1930, Grover Hedrick bought Ritter Lumber Co. and had the community name changed to “Glen Hedrick. ” The residents petitioned the federal government for another name change and finally, the community was officially named Beaver in 1939.