Sand Fork is a town in Gilmer County, West Virginia, United States. The population was 176 at the 2000 census. It is located along the Little Kanawha River, at the mouth of a creek named Sand Fork. Sand Fork was incorporated in 1903 as Layopolis, named for William R. Lay, an employee of the Eureka Pipe Line Company, which operated in oil fields in the area. Prior to 1983, the town was known as Layopolis, while its post office was known as Sand Fork. The town's name was changed to Sand Fork by the results of an election in 1983.