Holden is located on U.S. Highway 190 between Albany and Livingston in Livingston Parish, Louisiana, United States. Holden is in a section of land awarded to Micajah Spillars by a Spanish land grant. LA Hwy 441 which runs through Holden in a northwest-southeast direction is the road that connected Springfield with Baton Rouge to the west and points in Mississippi to the east. In 1907, the east-west line of the Baton Rouge, Hammond & Eastern Railroad was constructed. When the railroad purchased land through the area that would later become Holden, one of the people selling rights-of-way was an early settler named James Mahlon Holden. Another person who contributed to the economic growth of the area was James "Jim" F. McCarroll, who had the town surveyed into lots. Owner of the McCarroll Lumber Co. , he established a sawmill about 1909 and contracted with the railroad for a spur track to his mill south of the railroad on the east bank of the Tickfaw River. Sinclair Cooper constructed the spur, and the spur and the community became known as Cooper's Spur. Some residents were not happy with the name because Cooper was not a native of the area. When the Coopers later moved away the locals asked for the name to be changed to Holden to honor James Mahlon Holden. On October 17, 1916, representatives of the railroad and Holden citizens, McCarroll, Drumwright, and Sharp met with the Louisiana Railroad Commission to plan a Holden depot. The Holden post office was established on December 8, 1909, with Bunyan Drumwright as postmaster. Common pastimes in Holden: Farming, Family recreation, and Religious activities. There are various jobs in Holden, some include, grocery retail, small restaurants, and farming.