Auriesville is a hamlet in the northeastern part of the town of Glen in Montgomery County, New York, United States, along the south bank of the Mohawk River. It lies north of the New York City area and about forty miles west of Albany, the state capital. A Jesuit cemetery is located there. Auries was the name of the last Mohawk known to have lived there. Settlers named the village after him. The Mohawk called the place Ossernenon, also Gandawaga and Caughnawaga. The latter name was also given to a northern settlement on the St. Lawrence River opposite Lachine. Also known as Kahnawake, the Canadian settlement was founded by 1718 as a Jesuit mission for the Iroquois converts to Christianity who wanted to withdraw from 'moral corruption' by their pagan kinsmen.