Cheyney is an unincorporated community that sits astride Chester and Delaware Counties in the U.S. state of Pennsylvania. It is the home of Cheyney University of Pennsylvania. The area and the University derive their name from George Cheyney's Farm which became the current campus of Cheyney University. George Cheyney's Farm and the surrounding area was part of the original land grant given to William Penn in 1681. Cheyney straddles the border between Thornbury Township in Chester County and Thornbury Township in Delaware County. These townships were originally one township, which was bisected when Delaware County split from Chester County in 1789. Both Township Offices are located along Cheyney Road next to the University.