Squires is an unincorporated community in Douglas County, Missouri, United States. Squires is located about eight miles south of Ava on Route 5. The original Post Office application was filed by John Squire, an Englishman, who wanted to establish the Post Office of "Squire's, Missouri" to be housed in his general store. The the request for a Post Office was granted March 21, 1888. Thus, Squires, Missouri became the name for a crossroads location where cattle were corralled nightly by Arkansas farmers who were taking their cattle to market in Springfield, Missouri. Squires has not changed much in the past 20 years. However, in the late 1800s, Squires was a thriving community with all the prospects of becoming a nice sized town. Today, Squires is home to Spurlock's Store (a hundred-year old family business), Squires Post Office, Squires Volunteer Fire Department, Porter's Cafe, Porter's Garage, and the Douglas County Livestock Auction Barn. Nearby is a Fire Lookout Tower which is maintained and operated by the Missouri Department of Conservation.