Edison (formerly, Wade) is an unincorporated community in Kern County, California. It is located 7.5 miles (12 km) east-southeast of Bakersfield, at an elevation of 568 feet (173 m). In 1902, the Edison Electric Company built a substation on the site. The Southern Pacific Railroad arrived at Wade in 1903, and changed the name to Edison. The Edison post office opened in 1903, closed in 1929, and re-opened in 1946.