Bradshaw is a town in McDowell County, West Virginia, United States. The population was 289 at the 2000 census. Bradshaw was incorporated in December 1979 and is named for a man who settled at the mouth of Bradshaw Creek in about 1840. His gravesite overlooks the town. The town was famous for its coal deposits that would play an important part in the steel manufacturing from the '30s onward. The town currently struggles as the loss of coal production jobs has caused widespread unemployment. Located at the convergence of Bradshaw Creek and the Dry Fork River, Bradshaw has played an important part as a hub of coal production and shipping. Due to its location, flooding has occurred many times throughout its history, causing serious damage. The former Bradshaw Elementary School is now the location of the City Hall and various community services. The annual Lions Club sponsored Fall Festival is the highlight of community fun for the fall season when the town's majestic mountains begin the changing of the colors of the leaves for fall. Bradshaw West Virginia is located in the county of McDowell, the most southern county in the state. Originally McDowell County was part of Tazewell County, Virginia. Bradshaw was originally named after the railroad stop known as Dan along the Dryfork River. Rich in coal deposits and one of the towns that spawned the American steel years, Bradshaw contributed the coal that would build a nation. The J.D. Kennedy family was one of its earliest settlers and one of the original town founders. The town would eventually become incorporated in 1979 and become a jewel of southern West Virginia towns. Today Bradshaw struggles against the loss of the mining industry in southern West Virginia. The people of the town are friendly and good people and always make strangers feel welcome. Some of its most famous people are former Mayor Burl Laxton, Al Carolla, Bradley Gregory, Eddie Payne, Davis and Dawson families.