Carmel is a city in Hamilton County, Indiana, United States. The population was 37,733 at the 2000 census but has been growing very rapidly. In 2007, a special census recorded the city population at 68,677. Carmel is one of many affluent edge cities on the North side of Indianapolis. Until 1874, the settlement where present day Carmel now sits was called Bethlehem. Today, the plot first established in Bethlehem, located at the intersection of Rangeline Road and Main Street, is marked by a clock tower, donated by the local Rotary Club in 2002. In 1924, one of the first automatic traffic signals in the United States was installed at the intersection of Main Street and Range Line Road. The signal that was installed was the invention of Leslie Haines and is currently in the old train station on the Monon.