Fremont is a town in Fremont Township, Steuben County, Indiana, United States. The population was 1,696 at the 2000 census. Settled in 1834 as Willow Prairie, it became the Village of Brockville when it was platted in 1837. In 1848, it was renamed to honour John C. Frémont, "the Great Pathfinder", in part because there was already a Brockville in Indiana. In 1914, the first hospital in Steuben County was opened in Fremont by Dr. Wade.