Lapel is a town in Stony Creek Township, Madison County, Indiana, United States. It is part of the Anderson, Indiana Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 1,855 at the 2000 census. Lapel is home to the Class A 2005 State Champion Lapel Bulldogs Basketball team, and is also home to the 1940 Lapel Bulldogs Basketball team that reached the Final Four during the days of single-class high school basketball in Indiana. Lapel was platted in 1876 and was at one time home to movie theatres, a Ford dealership, bowling alley, putt-putt golf, a large rock quarry, canning factory, jewelry shops, and two small department stores. However, Lapel's proximity to the cities of Anderson and Indianapolis caused much of that business activity to eventually relocate. Today the town is known for its glass factory, golf club, and an annual Village Fair that attracts numerous visitors in early summer. The town has experienced new residential and commercial development in recent years, and antique gas lights have been installed along the main street with plans to continue installing them along the SR 13/Pendleton Avenue corridor.