Schofield Barracks is a United States Army installation and census-designated place (CDP) located in the City and County of Honolulu and in the Wahiawa District of the island of Oʻahu, Hawaiʻi, United States. Schofield Barracks lies adjacent to the town of Wahiawā, separated from most of it by Lake Wilson (also known as Wahiawā Reservoir). Schofield Barracks is named after Lieutenant General John McAllister Schofield. He was sent to Hawaiʻi in 1872 and recommended the establishment of a naval base at Pearl Harbor. Schofield Barracks occupies some 17,725 acres (72 km) on Central Oʻahu. The base was established in 1908 to provide mobile defense of Pearl Harbor and the entire island. It has been the home of the 25th Infantry Division, known as the Tropic Lightning Division, since 1941 as well as the Command Headquarters for United States Army Hawaii (USARHAW). Schofield Barracks is also home to the 8th Theater Sustainment Command. The population was 14,428 at the 2000 census.