Lambertville is a City in Hunterdon County, New Jersey, United States. As of the United States 2000 Census, the city population was 3,868. Lambertville was originally incorporated as a town by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature on March 1, 1849, from portions of West Amwell Township. The area was reincorporated as a city on March 26, 1872. Lambertville is located on the Delaware River in the southwestern portion of Hunterdon County. During the 1700s, the City was named after various operators of ferries across the river to Pennsylvania, ultimately becoming known as Coryell's Ferry, after Emanuel Coryell who owned the Ferry. Coryell's Ferry was the western terminus of the New Jersey portion of the York Road (which is now known as U.S. Highway 202) connecting New York City and Philadelphia. The City was named Lambertville in 1814 when the post office was established, in honor of John Lambert, a local resident, who had served as United States Senator and Acting Governor of New Jersey.