Ridgewood is a village in Bergen County, New Jersey, United States. As of the United States 2000 Census, the village population was 24,936. The village is an upper-middle class enclave in Northwest Bergen County. The Village of Ridgewood was created on November 20, 1894, with the same boundaries as Ridgewood Township. The Village became the municipal government while the Township remained as a school district. In 1902, the village added portions of Orvil Township, which were returned to Orvil Township in 1915. In 1925, Ridgewood Village acquired area from Franklin Township (now Wyckoff). On February 9, 1971, Ridgewood Village acquired area from Washington Township. On May 28, 1974, it acquired area from Ho-Ho-Kus. In 1700, Johannes Van Emburgh built the first home in Ridgewood. New Jersey Monthly magazine ranked Ridgewood as the 61st best place to live in New Jersey in its 2008 rankings of the "Best Places To Live" in New Jersey.