Sanderson is a census-designated place (CDP) in and the county seat of Terrell County, Texas, United States. The population was 861 at the 2000 census. Sanderson was created in 1882 as a part of neighboring Pecos County. It became the seat of Terrell County in 1905. Originally named Strowbridge, Sanderson served as a division point for the Southern Pacific Railroad, and was eventually renamed in honor of Thomas P. Sanderson, an engineer who was in charge of building a roundhouse for the railroad at the town. The railroad depot at Sanderson is vacant, and the community has thus far been unable to raise the funds to restore it for public access. There is an exceptionally large deer population in the area, making it a destination for hunters and outdoor enthusiasts.