Coinjock is an unincorporated community in Currituck County, North Carolina. It is located on U.S. Route 158 between Barco and Grandy, about 20 miles (32 km) south of the Virginia state line, and is at mile marker 50 on the Intracoastal Waterway. The island to the east of Coinjock in the Currituck Sound has a village called Waterlily, which uses the postal address of Coinjock as well. This island is also known as Church's Island by locals because of a decayed church that was once a landmark of the tiny community. Coinjock is bordered by Currituck Sound to the east; the North River lies to the west. Its Zip code is 27923. Residents suggest the name Coinjock is of Native American origin referring to mulberries, which might have been prevalent in the area many years ago. There are no mulberry trees there now. The name has also been spelled Coenjock, Cowenjock, or Cornjack and sometimes as two words with the second beginning with a capital J. Bishop Thomas Coke visited Coenjock, as he called it, and preached to a small congregation in its chapel on March 19, 1785.