Joseph City (elevation 5,000 ft) is an unincorporated community located in Navajo County, Arizona, United States. It is located on Interstate 40 about eighty miles east of Flagstaff. It was founded by Mormon settlers in 1876 as Allen's Camp, and its name was later changed to St. Joseph. The town was located on the Santa Fe Railway, which also went through Saint Joseph, Missouri. Due to both towns being on the railroad, in 1923, the name of the town was changed to Joseph City to avoid confusion. It is the site of the Jack Rabbit Trading Post, a famous Route 66 landmark.