Almont is a village in Lapeer County in the U.S. state of Michigan. The population was 2,803 at the 2000 census. The village is located within Almont Township. Almont was first settled in 1827/1828 by James Deneen. It received a post office in 1835 named Bristol, for Oliver Bristol, the second permanent settler. The village was platted as Newburg in 1836. James Thompson, who donated the town clock that is located in the steeple of the First Congregational Church, proposed the name "Almont" in 1846 to honor the Mexican general, Juan Almonte. However, another theory about the name holds that James Thompson suggested "Almont" in honor of the region in Scotland that he emigrated from. <cn> In his hometown of Ayrshire, Scotland there stands to this day the Almont Hotel. The word is from a Scottish construction that means "at the mount. " Almont incorporated as a village in 1855.