Sinsinawa is an unincorporated community in Grant County, Wisconsin, Wisconsin. The community is in the Town of Jamestown, and the Town of Hazel Green, one mile north of the border with Illinois. The community is 7.5 miles east of Dubuque, Iowa and 6.5 miles west of the village of Hazel Green, Wisconsin. The town is best known for being the mother house of the Sinsinawa Dominican Sisters. The community's name means either "rattlesnake" or "Home of the Young Eagle" in Sioux. The first white settler in the area was George Wallace Jones, who purchased land for a lead smelter in 1827. He soon sold the land to Samuel Mazzuchelli, who subsequently built a men's college in 1846. Mazzuchelli founded the Sinsinawa Dominican Sisters in 1847. This religious order founded a women's college and high school in Sinsinawa in 1865. Sinsinawa Mound is a cone-shaped hill in the area, from which the area gets its name. Sinsinawa Creek runs along the hill south towards the Fever River in Illinois. The Sinsinawa Mound raid of June 29, 1832, part of the Black Hawk War, took place near Sinsinawa Mound.