Glenville was a town located in the Hamburg township of Jackson County, North Carolina. Prior to incorporation in 1891, it was named Hamburgh and later Hamburg, from which the township gets its name. The Hamburgh post office was established there in 1856, but settlement began at least as early as 1827. It was used as a fort in case of attack from the local native Cherokee people. The town was destroyed in 1941 by Nantahala Power and Light after it built a hydroelectric dam, forming Lake Glenville on the Tuckasegee River the town was built next to. The area is still called Glenville however, and has United States Postal Service ZIP Code 28736, assigned mostly to the many vacation homes now built around the lake. The center of Glenville is at 35°10'24"N, 83°7'45"W (35.1734296, -83.129311). In 2002, Glenville Radio Broadcasters requested the FCC to assign Glenville as the community of license for a new radio station on 105.7 (channel 289A). It appears no application for a construction permit has been made since the change to the table of allotments was approved in 2003. A counterproposal was filed by Georgia Carolina Radiocasting Company.