Salvo is an unincorporated community located in Dare County, North Carolina, on Hatteras Island, part of North Carolina's Outer Banks. Originally part of the settlement of Chicamacomico, Salvo was originally known as Clarks or Clarksville. The name "Salvo" allegedly stems from the American Civil War, during which a passing Union vessel spotted the settlement, which was not marked on their maps. The commanding officer ordered an attack, and a sailor marked the site on his map with the word "Salvo. " The name was formally given to the town when it received a post office in 1901. The Salvo post office, one of the smallest postal facilities in the United States, was destroyed by an arsonist in 1992. A replacement post office was constructed later in the decade.