East Palestine is a city in Unity Township, Columbiana County, Ohio, United States, near the border with Pennsylvania. The population was 4,917 at the 2000 census. The town was founded in 1828 and incorporated as a city in 1875. Nearby clay pits supported a pottery industry; the W. S. George Pottery Company was formed in 1909 from the East Palestine Pottery Company and operated in the town until the 1950s. Formerly, East Palestine was called Mechanicsburg, but was changed to "East Palestine" as part of a religious nomenclature in that area such as New Galilee, Pennsylvania, Enon Valley, Pennsylvania, etc. Mechanicsburg is today a name given a village in Champaign County, Ohio, near the opposite border of the state from East Palestine.