(a) Authority of Secretary of Commerce
In order to facilitate exporting by United States businesses, the Secretary of Commerce shall provide assistance for trade shows in the United States which bring together representatives of United States businesses seeking to export goods or services produced in the United States and representatives of foreign companies or governments seeking to buy such goods or services from these United States businesses.
(b) Recipients of assistance
Assistance under subsection (a) of this section may be provided to
(1) nonprofit industry organizations,
(2) trade associations,
(3) foreign trade zones, and
(4) private industry firms or groups of firms in cases where no entity described in paragraph (1), (2), or (3) represents that industry,
to provide the services necessary to operate trade shows described in subsection (a) of this section.
(c) Assistance to small businesses
In providing assistance under this section, the Secretary of Commerce shall, in consultation with the Administrator of the Small Business Administration, make special efforts to facilitate participation by small businesses and companies new to export.
(d) Uses of assistance
Funds appropriated to carry out this section shall be used to
(1) identify potential participants for trade show organizers,
(2) provide information on trade shows to potential participants,
(3) supply language services for participants, and
(4) provide information on trade shows to small businesses and companies new to export.
As used in this section
the term United States business means
(A) a United States citizen;
(B) a corporation, partnership, or other association created under the laws of the United States or of any State (including the District of Columbia or any commonwealth, territory, or possession of the United States); or
(C) a foreign corporation, partnership, or other association, more than 95 percent of which is owned by persons described in subparagraphs (A) and (B); and
the term small business means any small business concern as defined under section 632
of this title.