The Congress encourages the Secretary of Defense to participate actively in joint research and development programs with the independent states of the former Soviet Union through the nongovernmental foundation established for this purpose by section 5861
of this title. To that end, the Secretary of Defense may spend those funds authorized in section 5911 (a)(1)(C)
of this title for support, technical cooperation, in-kind assistance, and other activities with the following purposes:
(1) To advance defense conversion by funding civilian collaborative research and development projects between scientists and engineers in the United States and in the independent states of the former Soviet Union.
(2) To assist the establishment of a market economy in the independent states of the former Soviet Union by promoting, identifying, and partially funding joint research, development, and demonstration ventures between United States businesses and scientists, engineers, and entrepreneurs in those independent states.
(3) To provide a mechanism for scientists, engineers, and entrepreneurs in the independent states of the former Soviet Union to develop an understanding of commercial business practices by establishing linkages to United States scientists, engineers, and businesses.
(4) To provide access for United States businesses to sophisticated new technologies, talented researchers, and potential new markets within the independent states of the former Soviet Union.
(5) To provide productive research and development opportunities within the independent states of the former Soviet Union that offer scientists and engineers alternatives to emigration and help prevent proliferation of weapons technologies and the dissolution of the technological infrastructure of those states.