(a) Requirements; access to information
For each fiscal year ending before October 1, 1979, the Comptroller General shall report to the Congress on the activities of the Secretary of Energy and the Secretary under this subchapter and any amendments to other statutes made by this subchapter. The provisions of section 771
of title 15
(relating to access by the Comptroller General to books, documents, papers, statistics, data, records, and information in the possession of the Secretary of Energy or of recipients of Federal funds) shall apply to data which relate to such activities.
(b) Contents of report
Each report submitted by the Comptroller General under subsection (a) of this section shall include
(1) an accounting, by State, of expenditures of Federal funds under each program authorized by this subchapter or by amendments made by this subchapter;
(2) an estimate of the energy savings which have resulted thereby;
(3) a thorough evaluation of the effectiveness of the programs authorized by this subchapter or by amendments made by this title in achieving the energy conservation or renewable resource potential available in the sectors and regions affected by such programs;
(4) a review of the extent and effectiveness of compliance monitoring of programs established by this subchapter or by amendments made by this title and any evidence as to the occurrence of fraud with respect to such programs; and
the recommendations of the Comptroller General with respect to
(A) improvements in the administration of programs authorized by this subchapter or by amendments made by this subchapter, and
(B) additional legislation, if any, which is needed to achieve the purposes of this subchapter.
As used in this part:
(2) The term Comptroller General means the Comptroller General of the United States.
(3) The term Secretary means the Secretary of Housing and Urban Development.