(a) In General.—
The Superintendent of Documents, under the direction of the Public Printer, shall
(1) maintain an electronic directory of Federal electronic information;
(2) provide a system of online access to the Congressional Record, the Federal Register, and, as determined by the Superintendent of Documents, other appropriate publications distributed by the Superintendent of Documents; and
(3) operate an electronic storage facility for Federal electronic information to which online access is made available under paragraph (2).
(b) Departmental Requests.—
To the extent practicable, the Superintendent of Documents shall accommodate any request by the head of a department or agency to include in the system of access referred to in subsection (a)(2) information that is under the control of the department or agency involved.
In carrying out this section, the Superintendent of Documents shall consult
(1) users of the directory and the system of access provided for under subsection (a); and
(2) other providers of similar information services.
The purpose of such consultation shall be to assess the quality and value of the directory and the system, in light of user needs.